Learn to Fly!

Getting Started

To get started, you need to consider your immediate objective in flight school. Are you planning to fly for fun, fly yourself on business trips, or fly as a paying career? We can discuss your goals with you and help determine what program is suited to your needs. Once you determine your objectives and we agree on a training method, your training can begin. All training includes both ground school and in-flight instruction.

Once you sign-up for flight training, you will need to obtain a Student License in order to fly a plane by yourself (solo). Most students obtain their student license as soon as possible so that they know their medical status is all clear for whatever flying they plan to pursue.

Next Steps

Now that you have an introduction to our flight school, we encourage you to call our flight school and set a time to meet with an instructor. For no obligation, they can answer your questions, review with you our training materials, and show you our facilities and aircraft.

Be sure to ask about our Discovery Flights that are generally offered at nominal costs. A Certified Instructor will take you up in an aircraft for an introductory flight.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Dear Fellow and Future Pilots,
We are pleased to provide you with information about Concord Aviation Services (CAS). CAS is located at the airport in Concord, New Hampshire. CAS offers flight instruction, recurrent training, pilot supplies, aircraft rental, aviation and jet fuel, aircraft maintenance, aircraft hanger and tie-down space, as well as rental cars.

The CAS flight school staff includes highly experienced Certified Flight Instructors with tens of thousands of hours of instruction and aircraft operation. We have provided flight instruction to over a 1,000 pilots since 1994.

We take great pride in our flight instruction team and the success of the students who have trained at our facility. It is our goal to meet your instructional needs, whether you are experienced, or a first-time aviator. All of our aircraft are expertly maintained by our maintenance department, and are fully insured and equipped for instruction.

Please review these materials and call us with any questions. We would be pleased to meet with you at the field, provide you a tour of our facilities and give you an introduction to our flight school team.

Again, thank you for your interest in flying at Concord Aviation Services!


Concord Aviation Services Flight Department
(603) 228-2267

Our Instruction Methods

The strength of our flight school is our one-on-one approach, tailored to each individual pilot. Each student learns at a different pace and approaches their training with varying experience, time, and resources. We understand those factors and take them into consideration before commencing a program with a student.

We take a more personalized approach to our student’s training, we also offer two alternative teaching methods to match the most effective program to the student. The innovative KeyFlight program offers the latest in computer-based education technology. Its building block approach enables many students to make swift progress towards a license and is designed for the student that is comfortable with computer-based technology. Alternatively, if you are not as comfortable with computers, we also offer the more traditional Jeppesen training program, which is tailored to students who learn best with textbooks and videotapes. Jeppesen has been a leader in flight school materials for decades. Both programs are excellent and allow us to tailor the training to suit the needs of the student.

After you review this material, we invite you to call us and visit with one of our instructors at no obligation. We can discuss your interest in flying, the certification you desire and review both the KeyFlight and Jeppesen programs to see what appeals to you.

Student License (Medical Certificate)

The Student License allows the student to gain solo flight experience (supervised by a flight instructor), prior to obtaining a pilot license. If you have not flown before, this is where you need to start. Just call an FAA examiner and schedule your flight physical examination.


  • Be able to read, speak, and understand English
  • Pass a physical examination by an FAA designated Medical Examiner. (A list is available.)


  • Medical Exam and Certificate
Recreational Pilot License
The Recreational Pilot License is offered for pilots who only want to fly locally (within 50 miles of home airport), in the daytime and clear weather. We mention it here because it is an option, but it is rarely pursued as a goal by our students. The Recreational License is so limited in what it allows, that most of our students decide to spend a little more time and money by working on the Private Pilot’s license as their initial goal. If you are interested in the Recreational Pilot’s license, CAS does offer it. Please come in and review the details with one of our flight instructors.
Private Pilot License

The Private Pilot License is the most common initial license obtained by a new student. It is a pre-requisite for all the more advanced licenses. The private pilot license allows pilots to fly any distance with passengers, day or night. This license does not allow you to fly above 18,000 feet in altitude, into or near clouds, or into areas that operate under instrument flight rules (large city airports). As a private pilot, you cannot be compensated for flying - for example, transporting paying customers or towing advertising banners. This license by itself, is sufficient if you plan to fly for fun or personal reasons or your travel plans are flexible. You must pass a written exam, complete the required training, and pass an in-flight test with an FAA Flight Examiner.


Training Required (Summary):

  • Ground school instruction (typically 22 hours) to pass the written test.
  • Minimum of 40 total hours of flight instruction, including:
  • Minimum of twenty hours of flight instruction with a Certified Flight Instructor
  • Minimum of ten hours of solo flight
  • It often takes more than the minimum times to pass the private pilot test (50 to 60 total hours is typical)


  • Books & Test Fees
  • Ground Instruction
  • Flight Training including Solo flight hours. Instruction is self-paced.
Instrument Pilot License

The Instrument Pilot License is for pilots who have a Private Pilots License and want the flexibility to fly in or near clouds, and into or through busy (FAA controlled) airspace, such as areas near large city airports or altitudes above 18,000 feet. Because it allows travel in a wider range of cloudy weather, the instrument license is invaluable to persons flying themselves on business, which requires more dependable scheduling. The instrument license does NOT permit a pilot to be compensated as “pilot for hire”.

The Instrument Pilot License is awarded after passing a written exam, after obtaining the minimum requirements of training time, and after passing an in-flight proficiency exam with an FAA Flight Examiner.


  • Hold a current Private Pilot’s License.
  • Hold a current Third Class Medical Certificate
  • Training Required (Summary):
  • Instrument ground school (typically 22 hours)

Minimum of 100 total hours flying time, including:

  • Minimum of twenty hours of instrument flight instruction with a Certified Flight Instructor
  • Minimum of ten hours of solo flight
  • Minimum of forty hours instrument time
  • Minimum 50 hours solo cross country time


  • Books & test fees
  • Ground Instruction
  • Flight Training and Solo flight hours
Commercial Pilot License

The Commercial Pilot License (unrestricted) is for pilots who want to be able to fly an aircraft for compensation or hire. Commercial pilots can fly with paying customers, tow advertising banners, or carry cargo for hire. This is the license you need if you want to earn money for flying an airplane.

The Commercial Pilot License is awarded after passing a written exam and after obtaining the minimum required training time and after passing an in-flight proficiency exam with an FAA Flight Examiner.


Summary of Training Required:

  • Ground school instruction sufficient to pass the written test.
  • Minimum of 10 hours of flight instruction with a Certified Flight Instructor in a “complex” aircraft.
  • Total of at least 250 hours of flying time.


  • Books & Test fees
  • Ground instruction
  • Flight Instruction
  • Solo flight hours (total cost depends on extent of previous flying)
Recurrent Training
Flight Certification includes important safety responsibilities that are both common sense for qualified and safe flying and are mandated by the FAA. Recurrent training helps to insure that pilots stay current on technique and maintain sufficient minimum flight hours to refresh important flying and safety procedures.

Every two years, pilots are required to take both written exams and in-flight exams with an FAA Certified Pilot to obtain recurrent certification for Private, Instrument, and Commercial Pilot’s License. Recurrent training is offered and can be discussed with any of the CAS Certified Flight Instructors.

There are other types of recurrent training for specific flight skills that are required by either the FAA or CAS in order to use our planes. Those include recurrent training for instrument rating, night flying, and proficient operation of rental planes.

Tel: (603) 228-2267
Fax: (603) 228-2268
E-mail: CAS @ confbo.com